Oct 13, 2009

Kenneth Cleveland: The Man

Libby Cleveland

"What do I miss? I miss sharing my day, my thoughts, my happy moments, my sad moments-- my successes and my crises, my uncertainties, my worries, my hopes and dreams, and I miss working together in the yard-- at the cabin-- at the gym-- at school. I miss planning--doing and going--bicycling--traveling--unfulfilled plans of camping trips, train rides, a Las Vegas trip.
I miss seeing Kenneth on the golf course waving to me--his advice when I'm upset--his need to talk to me about his problems--his confidence in me--his compliments--his pride in what I accomplished--his patience when I fouled up. What will I miss? Hearing him introduced and feeling so proud of him--the excitement he had about every new team--the plans we worked on together--choosing uniforms, planning signs and posters, fixing up his dressing room, painting signs, riding on the team bus, fixing the towels and juice, standing at the dressing room telling the boys good luck and a quick hug from Kenneth before the game-- the excitement of the challenge of each game-- running out on the floor to hug him after the game--even washing the suits and towels.
I'll miss him at school in the hall, sharing math problems, drawing posters, dancing at the prom, listening to his concerns of his boys and their grades. I'll miss him watching Kevin coach at Wayland--Jacy playing in the 8th grade--Caitlin ski---Adam, Bryan and Eric grow up-- I'll miss our planning surprises and sharing news of Beth and Vicki- playing golf with Darrell and visiting with Charles.
We shared everything and always have since the 5th grade. We had our first date to the 8th grade banquet. We met and walked to school every morning during high school. Our dates were walking home after basketball games. We have been a couple--Kenneth and Libby since we were 10 years old. Everywhere Kenneth went, I did too. Sometimes I was the only coach's wife-- but that was what we wanted. Kenneth was either at the gym, at home or at the golf course-- no one ever resented or regretted basketball because that was Kenneth-- we loved both.
What do I remember? I remember hitting him in the eye with a baseball in the 5th grade. True love that lasted forever. I remember sitting in every class in front of him-- our lockers side by side-- hours waiting for him in the gym-- playing tennis together. I remember the excitement of college basketball and being a young, penniless married couple at U.T. 2 hamburgers for a dollar and the $1 drive-in Longhorn movie were a big night out. I remember graduating-- our first job-- buying a washing machine-- I remember when Beth was born we both cried with happiness. I remember our juggling babies--summer school, and of course, golf to get our masters degrees. I remember our first job in Sonora-- and the big decision to move to Dimmitt and take a pay cut in 1961. Vicki was born a month after we moved. I remember the excitement Kenneth had for a group of freshman boys who went to state when they were seniors. I remember the pride of playing at Gregory Gym and the huge supportive crowd of Dimmitt people.
I remember how each day revolved around basketball. We were a team-- a pair-- independent but very dependent on each other-- like Andy and Barney-- Kenneth was Andy-- calm, cool, patient-- and me-- nervous, excitable, over-anxious like Barney. I remember how excited we all were for our 3rd baby. We were so sure it was a girl--we didn't even have a boy's name. Just in case--on the way to the hospital--we chose Kevin.
I remember basketball was the common denominator in our family-- I remember Kenneth's pride in all our children and their athletic achievements. He was so proud of Beth going to Texas Tech to play--Vicki's track in the Jr. Olympics, state and OSU-- and Kevin's love and accomplishments in basketball. He was not as proud of what they could do--as he was for their love and dedication they had for doing their best. He never criticized or pushed. He helped, advised, guided, and encouraged. He praised more for attitude dedication and improvement than for records or medals. I remember Kevin and Kenneth in the final state game in Austin-- 38-0-- a coach and father's dream come true.
I remember standing proudly when Beth received honors for her basketball awards. I remember our holding hands tightly as we watched Vicki run in the Jr. Olympics and at the state track meets. I remember Jacy at 4 years running out and holding on to Kenneth's knee during an important introduction. I remember Caitlin running to sit in Granddaddy's lap during crucial games. I remember Kenneth's pride in Adam at basketball camp and Bryan's phone calls to wish Kenneth Luck and Eric being the 3rd generation Cleveland for basketball. I remember how thrilled we were when a certain skinnier young basketball player-- Darrell--became a much-loved member of our family. I remember driving to Lubbock and back during a terrible ice storm and blizzard to get a Friona game film developed. after looking at the film, the team did improve and ended in Austin as state champs. I remember roofing the cabin together and putting up sheet rock on the ceiling-- a true test of love. I remember crying together with joy at winning games, babies being born, at Kevin being named coach at Wayland, and in sorrow at Jim's stroke--when Robert, Danny and Jeramy died. I remember seeing and hearing hundreds of people tell me Kenneth was their hero, their best friend, their inspiration, their guide. I didn't realize the widespread impact he had made. I feel very humbled and then very proud of him. I feel we were blessed with a unique love which resulted in a warm, loving family and a lifetime of doing what he loved with people he loved. Basketball was Kenneth's road to happiness, accomplishment and service-- I always knew we loved and needed each other. I was proud of him and now I want him to be proud of me."

Sandy Howard

“I just spent last evening with Libby reminiscing about my childhood, her, coach and their influence in my life. Boy, do we have stories! It was an incredibly uplifting ending to this Dimmitt visit.
Unfortunately, I only got to spend summers in Dimmitt, but I will never forget the sound of his golf shoes when he walked into the pool after a round of golf. Golf shoe sounds=Coach. He is a person who had one of the greatest influences on my life (Libby, you’re on that list too!) I still tell stories about him—and let’s just say the Cleveland’s took me under their wing sometime in the ‘70s.”

Dina Paetzold

“Okay, it was the summer of ’77 (3rd grade) at the Country Club. High school boys had been picking on Kevin, teasing him and trying to get him to kiss me. I got on my bicycle and was peddling away. Kevin called me so I looped around the circle drive and Kevin stuck a golf club into the spokes of my bike. I went head over the handle bars (I was wearing my swimsuit). I was bloody and sobbing, and Kenneth scooped me up and carried me to the pro shop. He cleaned me up, covered me in Band-Aids and wiped away my tears. He loaded up my bike and drove me home. Good memories, huh!”

Rich Behrends

“Not only was Coach Cleveland a great coach…man could hit a golf ball. I remember Kevin one day challenged his dad to see who could hit the golf ball further. So just outside the country club door, right next to the practice putting green, they both launched golf balls onto the driving range just before closing one night. They both sailed it past the 150-yard marker. I had never heard a 1 wood crack that loud before. The apple didn’t fall that far from the tree. What a couple of great competitors.”

Kyle Wise

After growing up around Coach Cleveland, I thought him immune to being irritated. Then, I was in his his freshman math class (I was impressed he was as good at math as basketball!) Jo Beth Bates asked a question. As Coach answered this detailed math answer, Jo Beth turned around and started talking to someone. I saw Coach get irritated that day. That was funny. Even so, I found him to be one of the most level-headed and stable people I knew.

Carrie Rogers

“What a great coach and man he was.”

Caitlin Buckley, granddaughter

I am in my second year at Texas Tech and I love it. I am majoring in Human Development and Family Studies. Right now, I am a junior by hours and will graduate next May. After that, I am going to go to grad school and get my post bachelor’s in education and get my teaching certificate. I would like to teach 2nd or 3rd grade. So—those are my plans for now!
I am really enjoying all of my classes and think that this is the perfect major for me. I am dating a guy from Muleshoe who is a student coach with the offensive staff on the Texas Tech football team. I so wish that he could have met grandaddy. He wants to coach football after he graduates and I know that grandaddy is a huge inspiration to him. I took him to Nanny’s house and showed him “grandaddy’s room” with all the plaques, pictures and memorabilia. He was in awe and didn’t want to leave. He gives Nanny a huge amount of respect because he thinks that the Coach’s wife contributes immensely to his success. I wish that I would have been older and could have remembered all that Nanny did for him. She always put the team and Grandaddy’s needs first. She still does so much for Grandaddy even today. She will do anything to ensure that Grandaddy’s legacy, dreams and respect will never be forgotten. I hope that someday I can be as great of a coach’s wife as Nanny is.
It is so hard for me to believe that Grandaddy has been gone for 11 years. It seems like yesterday when I can remember him coming to get me out of Mrs. Rogers 1st grade class to go to the game. I rode the bus to almost every game and sat on the bench right beside grandaddy. I don’t know why I remember this particular game, but I can remember him sitting down and explaining the fundamentals to me and from then on, my love and respect for the game just blossomed. Before every one of my games in the Cleveland gymnasium, I stopped and looked at the section devoted to him. I would read all of the wonderful things about him and continue to play for myself.
To get through my year, I would just tell myself to play for grandaddy. On one of the plaques, his basketball style was described as a “never say die attitude.” This is what I tried to do. Grandaddy played in number 11 and so did I. I know that he wore the number well and I had to wear it with pride and represent class. I hope that Grandaddy is as proud of me and of who I have become as I am of him. I was Grandaddy’s little girl; we just have this indescribable bond that only we could feel in our hearts. I cherish every memory that I have of grandaddy. It is so hard for me to fathom that this wonderful man was a huge part of my life. As hard as it is for me to have been there when Grandaddy was killed, I am the only one who was with him when he left for heaven. Thank you so much for letting me pour out my heart to you."

Vicki Fretwell, daughter

"Hi, Rick, my name is Vicki Cleveland Fretwell and Kenneth Cleveland is my dad. For months, I have heard from Mother and Kevin about this article and how wonderful you have been. I can't tell you how much this means to my mom. To us all, but especially to my mom. She truly lost half of herself when Daddy died. She had been with him for so many years as you know, that his sudden death was incomprehensible. But, very, very slowly, she pulled herself up and has become a tower of strength, determination and will to live her life fully and with Daddy in mind every day. He would be so proud of her. She was a wonderful person with Daddy, but has become a different wonderful person now! I am so blessed to be a part of them both!
My brother, Kevin, truly lost his best friend when Daddy died. He spent some time looking for meaning without Daddy, but because he is so much like him, Kevin battled his way up into a successful job in the car dealership world where he is very much respected and admired. I am so proud of him, and I love talking to him on the phone--he sounds like Daddy!
My sister, Beth, has raised two beautiful daughters who knew Daddy more than I did in the last years. They are all humble, thoughtful people who all have Kenneth Cleveland's qualities.
I live in Houston, teach Algebra at Cy-Fair High School, am married, and have two wonderful boys. My older son, Adam, is a decathlete who is being highly recruited to run track in college (he is a senior at Cy-Creek). My dad would be so proud of his work ethic in sports, and his determination to be the best he can be. My other son, Bryan, is 14 and a freshman at Cy-Creek, and is the comedian and champion paintball player of the family. He is not interested in sports, and is his own person--and is the one who keeps us all laughing and grounded in stressful times. Daddy would love his sharp sense of humor and quick wit. He would "get a kick out of him."
I teach at Cy-Fair High School where a basketball coach, Barry Townley, tells the freshman basketball players about my dad. I teach a lot of his freshman players, and he tells the kids about my dad's success. Coach Townley has never met my dad, but had heard about him and his success in basketball for years before Daddy died. It is an honor that means more to me than he will ever know.
Adam, my 18-year-old son, had a job delivering Mexican food and one delivery was at a guy's house, and they started talking about the guy's bird dogs and then hunting. The story went to where Adam hunts, and he said he hunts pheasants/geese where his mom used to live in the panhandle of Texas. Well, the guy knew my family and played for my dad years ago. He proceeded to tell Adam what a great man he was. So, even in Houston, years later, somebody had a story to tell about Daddy, and to his grandson at that. What a special story for Adam to hear. I could go on for hours, but I need to go to bed for my early day at school tomorrow. I have been meaning to e-mail you for a long time and, as I read the article tonight (my 43rd birthday), I knew I could not put it off any longer. What a great birthday present your article was. Thank you for your kindness, sensitivity and for keeping my dad's name and legacy alive."

Terry Ellison (Secondary School Teacher and Jr. High Assistant Principal, 1971-1985)

"Zelda and I moved to Dimmitt in 1971. We loved living and teaching there. One of the most enjoyable activities while there was watching Dimmitt High School basketball, coached by Kenneth Cleveland. We have more memories than we can write down. One year, at the end of a game against Morton, Libby leaped over the rail like she always did. This time, however, her college ring that she wore on her little finger caught on the rail. She was hanging by the ring. I quickly grabbed her, and Ewell Kelly pushed her up until we could get her finger loose. Libby was taken to the hospital where they cut the ring off her finger and put in twelve stitches. Oddly enough, none of us involved remembers who took her to the hospital.
Coach Cleveland set a life standard that most cannot reach. He was a wonderful coach and a good Christian husband and father."

Zelda Ellison (Dimmitt Middle School Teacher, 1971-1985)

"When Terry and I moved to Dimmitt, I was not a sports enthusiast at all. I was greatly surprised at myself when I caught up in the basketball craze in Dimmitt. It was not long before I could not wait for the next game. I loved watching Kenneth's calm style of coaching those ever-so-close games! The stands were filled with frenzied fans, our stomachs literally churning from excitement, while Coach Cleveland led his team time-after-time to victory over other talented teams. He was utterly amazing! what I usually did before each game was to buy a Sugar Daddy (candy on a stick). Then, I would gnaw my way through the stress and tension of the basketball games. (Surprisingly, I DO still have my teeth). Every game was so fun!
There are pictures that remain quite clear in my mind. When our daughter, Tiffany, was a baby, we would fix her a little space on a blanket with some toys between the seats. She handled all the noise very well and let her parents enjoy the games. We watched Kevin Cleveland grow up on the basketball court when he and the son of Abernathy's Coach Irlbeck played a little one-on-one at halftime. I absolutely LOVED to watch Jim Birdwell's jump shot. I thought it was just beautiful! I can still see Rocky Rawls dribble down the court and John Smith and Kevin making 3-pointers. My favorite year, of course, was the 38-0 year. And how about that winning shot at the state tournament when, at the buzzer, our final shot hit the rim. we all thought we'd lost the game. If I remember correctly, Mary Nell King had lowered her head in dismay and missed seeing her son, Phil, reach up, and tip it for the win!
Terry and I appreciated Kenneth Cleveland and his gentleman's style of coaching. He had a class about him that only a few coaches have exhibited. He brought out the best in his players and he put Dimmitt, Texas, on the map. To the boys on his teams: Thank you for entertaining your fans through the years and making us proud. To Libby, Beth, Vicky and Kevin: To this day, we love you all."

Kevin Cleveland, son

"Where do I start and end? Here are some of the 'greatest hits.'
1. Being a manager for the Bobcats with Ricky Hunter. We would go to the dressing room a few minutes before halftime and prepare the orange juice and orange slices. Then, we would set up cups like bowling pins and use one of those small basketballs that the players tossed into the stands as a bowling ball and bowl.
2. 1975 overtime game between Dimmitt and Friona at Levelland. 1982's 3-overtime game between Dimmitt and Denver City at the Regional finals.
3. My fourth grade class with Mrs. Wohgulmeth was right at the entrance of the gym. The lawn chairs were set up and people began arriving at NOON for Dimmitt-Morton games. Unbelievable feeling of anticipation looking out that classroom window. When the final bell rang, I would sprint into the gym and save a few seats on the front row.
4. I remember Dad's clipboard and yellow pad with the workout schedules handwritten on it.
5. I remember the final buzzer of the final game of football season signaling that basketball season had begun.
6. I remember staring at the stat sheet that the assistant coaches kept during the games. I was really young, but stared at the "shot chart" from when Danny Ebeling went 18 for 18 from the field. 18 X's with circles around each and every "x."
7. Sunday afternoon half-court games against the exes and Dad sitting in the chair leaning back against the wall.
8. Jeff Bell's left-handed off-the-glass shot from the wing. Jim Bradford grabbing every rebound. Rock Rawls doing everything he did.
9. Dad talking to us before getting off the bus for the road games.
10. #1 Press, #2 Press, and sometimes #3 Press
11. The post-game get-togethers at our house where Smith, Avis, Ewell and Nell, Gene and Mary, etc. would come over and snack and visit.
12. The packed house at every single game and especially those when we played Morton, Abernathy, Friona, etc. The popcorn smell when you came into the gym on game night.
13. Fighting through the crowds in the parking lot at Plainview when we played Littlefield for the district title in 1982. It was so full of people trying to get in that we barely got in.
14. Watermelon and swimming after playing at night in the summers. Dad keeping the scoreboard during those summer games and hitting the buzzer every twenty points for substitution.
15. Crying at the free throw line in Austin in the last seconds of 1983 because I did not want it to end.
16. Three sweatbands on each arm and socks pulled up to the knees.
17. Norman Hays wishing me good luck prior to every game.
18. John Smith's perfect shot form, John David's shot blocking and rebounding, Jeff Watts scoring and rebounding, Fermin's defense and taking charges, and 38 perfect games.
19. Of course, everyone was great-- but my favorite players, I have to list:
1. John David King, John Smith, Jeff Watts, Fermin Gonzales, Keith Gregory
2. Danny Ebeling
3. Mark Summers
4. Rocky Rawls
5. Dwight McDonald
6. Paul Langford
7. Jim Birdwell
8. Jerry Schaeffer
9. Craig Williams
10. Johnny Hampton
11. Darrell Buckley
12. Keith Crum
13. Emilio Arce
14. Jeff Bell
15. Jim "Windex" Bradford, cleaning the glass

Halley Bradley Steinhilber

"He was an amazing coach and man. I have so many great memories of him and how much he even taught me when I was one of the only girls going to his boys' basketball camps. What a legacy he left and how many lives he touched. Thank you, Lord, for sharing Coach Cleveland with us all."

Carla King Sappington

"This e-mail does not pertain to Coach Cleveland as a basketball coach, but as I remember him as a Daddy to us all. So many times when Beth, Vicki, Tobin, or I were running around on Grant Street making mud pies and throwing them at cars--yes, we threw them at cars, Kenneth would ask very softly, 'You girls supposed to be doing that?' We didn't think twice-- we just stopped it and went on to something else. I can recall the day Beth Ann dropped a glass Coke bottle on the sidewalk. Her leg was cut and bleeding. Kenneth, calm as can be, just picked her up and took her home. You see, I had the privilege of knowing Kenneth as a father and neighbor. He was gentle, kind, and I trusted him. The only way my mother convinced me to take swimming lessons was because you and Kenneth taught them at the Dimmitt Country Club. He had a way about him that made a small child feel confident when she wasn't confident at all. I hope my story to you can give everyone a picture of Kenneth as a man who lived across the street from me, but made my life better. Kenneth was an example of how a father and husband should be. I thank him for that."

Lou Baker

"I never had the opportunity to have any basketball connection with Coach Cleveland, but I do know that he was one terrific dad and role model. I grew up with Vicki and spent a lot of time at the house. Libby and Kenneth were always around and they made anyone that was ever at their home feel like they belonged to them. I was very blessed to have had that opportunity.
I still run into people that find out that I grew up in Dimmitt and always make the remark about what a wonderful coach and man that Coach Cleveland was. He is greatly missed by everyone, but Libby was ALWAYS there for everyone and still is. She is a great lady!"

J'Lyn Ryan

"My first memory of Kenneth Cleveland was in 1971 when we first moved to Dimmitt. We lived in the Presbyterian manse across from the high school. Robin was a 4th grader. He kept after us to let him go to the gym because he saw other kids about his age going. Finally, Robert approached Kenneth and was assured that that was a good idea if he ever wanted to be a Bobcat! Being the worrier that I was, I kept quizzing Robin about the kids near his age; what the big kids were doing, etc. He told me all he knew since he was new in town. Finally, one day I said, 'Well, how does Coach Cleveland get anything done if all of you other kids are bouncing the balls and yelling?' He just shrugged his shoulders and calmly said, 'When Coach puts the ball under his arm, we know to hold the ball and get quiet.' Right then, I saw his genius with athletes! In fact, I used that technique in my own classroom from time to time--not just with basketball!
Our years in Dimmitt were such good ones and much of that was due to our prowess in basketball. It was nice to be from Dimmitt with the good reputation for a great basketball program."

Jo Beth Bates, 1977

"I'll never forget the look on Coach Cleveland's face when I approached him about the hows and whys there wasn't a girls' golf team in Dimmitt. Several of us in the infamous class of '79 decided this would be a perfect way and excuse to get out of school on those lovely spring days! He said to get some clubs together and go out and practice on the driving range. What? Practice! Anyway, Jean Bradford, Kathy George, Diane Love, A'Lann Truelock, and I put our plan into motion. Before we knew it, others were joining in--always the diplomatic, Coach told others they could play too. Shellie Minnick, Angela Ross, and others became the first girls' golf team of Dimmitt, Texas.
We looked like "rag-a-muffins"--we didn't think to get matching t-shirts or caps or anything--we lathered up in baby oil thinking it would be the perfect day for a tan! Boy were we wrong! It turned out to be the worst windy, sandy day of the year! We were covered from head to toe with dirt, oil, sand, you name it--It was Olton, Texas--sandhills--it was so windy that Coach and other coaches didn't even play their usual round while we played. It was so sandy that they even let us tee it up in the fairway with a tee!
We toughed it out and eventually became district champions that year! Watch out regionals, here we come! We loaded up the van and who knows why we put our golf clubs on top. Halfway to Lubbock--someone had forgotten to zip their bag and golf balls started bouncing and clubs were flying off the van! I thought Kenneth was going to finally lose his cool, but he just calmly pulled over and said, 'Go gather everything up!' You have to because we sure don't have extras for anyone! We barreled out of the van and looked like we were on an Easter egg hunt. I swear I saw him wiping the tears out of his eyes from laughing so hard at the scene on the side of the road.
We made it to Lubbock--finally--and played our little hearts out! We didn't come in last--but next to last! We joked with Coach and said, 'Are you in this for next year?' and with that wonderful, reassuring smile, he replied, "Sure-- and we'll even get team shirts for you!" We were extremely grateful!
The next year we made it to the regional again and came in 4th from last. Deep down, I think he enjoyed his crazy, out of the ordinary golf adventures with the girls! Those special times with him will be etched in my memory forever! Several of us still play golf today and love every minute of it. Thanks Coach!"

No comments:

Post a Comment